"It takes the whole village to raise a child."
Villager is a program originally designed in 1999 as a sponsorship effort to supplement the Buncombe County Department of Social Services - Children & Family Services cost incurred by foster parents and caregivers in raising children in foster care.
A sponsor, or "Village" (any individual, family, organization, group, or congregation) may commit to providing incidental financial support for a child in foster care for a period of one year, which may be extended if the sponsor is able to do so.
"Incidental financial support" may take the following forms
- Allowance for clothing when needed
- Allowance for school supplies or other incidentals (uniform, instruments, etc.)
- Tuition for summer camp
- Tuition for lessons (music, sports, etc.)
- Help with paying for some medical procedures not covered by other funding sources
- Any other assistance negotiated by the child's social worker and the Village which fulfills the child's needs and for which no other assistance is available
For a listing of county-wide programs & services offered by Buncombe County Government, please visit our Services for Children section.
Social Services Director / Assistant County Manager
40 Coxe Avenue
PO Box 7408
Asheville, NC 28802
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Call these numbers anytime, day or night