The Buncombe County Department of Health offers a variety of Children’s Dental Health services in community and school settings.
Servicio Interpretes Gratis
Free Language Assistance is Available
School Dental Screening
Dental Hygienists conduct screenings, assessments, and referral for all children in kindergarten and select 5th grade classes.
Dental Sealants Program
This program provides dental sealants to second grade students at participating schools. Schools are chosen according to risk for dental problems. Sealants are placed free of charge for children who are determined to be ready for them. This program is made possible with the help of community partners: Eblen Foundation, AB Technical College Dental Clinic, participating private dentists and Buncombe County Department of Health staff.
The goal of dental education is
- to increase awareness of the importance of oral health,
- encourage tooth brushing and flossing, and
- promote regular dental care by professionals.
Education is provided in classrooms, community groups, and health fairs.
The Preschool Dental Program, called “Open Wide”, promotes healthy teeth for pre-school children. Smart Start of Buncombe County provides funding to support this important program.
We know that healthy dental care habits must begin early in a child’s life. Our staff works with preschool children ages two through four, and the licensed child care centers and family childcare homes in Buncombe County to discuss dental health. Education is provided for children, parents and childcare providers through programs that are brought to them.
Through the Preschool Dental :
- Children will enjoy an educational puppet show.
- A Registered Dental Hygienist will check the dental health of each child.
- Staff will help children with dental disease to receive the treatment they need.
- A “Tooth Time” education kit is available for check-out to child care centers.
Health Education Links and Resources:
For information about the dental sealant program, school dental screenings and education, please contact: