Documents to be recorded at the Buncombe County Register of Deeds office may be presented in person, by mail or via eRecording. The Register of Deeds can only record original documents which contain original signatures and proof of acknowledgment (notarization). By law all documents recorded in the Register of Deeds office are open for public inspection.
The recording fee for all real estate documents other than deeds of trust is $26 for the first 15 pages and $4 for each additional page. The recording fee for deeds of trust is $56 for the first 15 pages and $4 for each additional page. Prior to being recorded, deeds conveying an interest in real estate require payment by the grantor of an excise tax stamp at a rate of $2 per $1,000 consideration being given for the property. There is no fee to record satisfactions. For a complete fee schedule, please see General Fees.
For all deeds and deeds of trust, the name of the person preparing the document must be on the face of the document. For all real estate transfers, the address of the person receiving the real estate must be on the face of the document for tax purposes. For all instruments, the name and address where the document should be returned must be on the face of the document. A self-addressed, stamped envelope would be appreciated with all documents. Please see below for complete format and content requirements.
**All deeds must be checked for delinquent taxes due at the tax department before they may be recorded. Please see Memo for additional information.
We accept Visa/MasterCard, cash, personal checks, or money orders payable to Register of Deeds.
Recording Hours & Address
Documents may be recorded in Buncombe County from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at:
Register of Deeds
35 Woodfin Street, Suite 226
Asheville, NC 28801
All instruments presented for recording shall be on white paper and shall meet ALL of the following requirements:
||8 ½ X 11 inches OR 8 ½ X 14 inches
||A blank margin of three (3) inches at the top of the first page
||A blank margin of at least one-quarter (¼) inches on the remaining three sides of the first page and on all sides of all subsequent pages
||Typed or printed in black ink on white paper in legible font
Font size of 9 point or larger
Text on only one (1) side of the paper
State type of instrument at the top of the first page
Never use a highlighter over pertinent information
||Any document not meeting the above standards may be recorded for a fee of $25.00 in addition to the regular recording fee.
NOTE: Documents acknowledged (notarized) prior to July 1, 2002 are exempt from the above standards.
Every document presented must contain the following:
- Original document which contains original signature and proof of acknowledgment (notarization).
- Name of the person who prepared the instrument (draftsman) on all deeds and deeds of trust.
- Address where instrument will be returned (If prepared by a local attorney, document will be returned to attorney's box.)
- Address of the Grantee for tax records.
- Original signature of each Grantor named in the document.
- Proper notary acknowledgement.
- If the instrument is a conveyance of real property, it must reflect the amount of Excise Tax to be paid by the Grantor at a rate of $2.00 per $1,000.00 of purchase price - except when the transfer is:
- By operation of law
- By lease for a term of years
- By or pursuant to the provision of a will
- By intestacy
- By gift
- By merger or consolidation
- By instruments securing indebtedness (deeds of trust and mortgages)
- Where no consideration in property or money is due or paid by the transferee to the transferor
Please see links below for additional information about North Carolina recording law.