Criteria of Issuance:
- An applicant must be a citizen of the US.
- An applicant must be a resident of Buncombe County and a resident of NC for 30 days prior to the application being filed.
- An applicant must be at least 21 years of age.
- An applicant must not suffer from any physical or mental weakness that prevents the safe handling of a handgun.
- An applicant must have successfully completed an approved firearms safety and training course.
Please provide the following for initial application process:
- Firearm Safety Training Certificate (original certificate)
- Valid Driver’s License or ID card (all information on license or ID card must be correct)
- $90 fee - cash, certified check or money order (no personal checks) $75 fee for renewals; $15.00 fee for an address change or loss / destruction of permit
- DD214 (if discharged from military)
Please allow 45 minutes for the application process and 90 – 120 days for issuance or denial of the requested permit.
Due to the increase volume of concealed handgun permit (CHP) applications, effective March 20, 2013, you will need to call the City/County Identification Bureau at (828) 250-4684 to schedule an appointment to apply for a CHP. Please allow 30 minutes for the application process and 90 - 120 days for issuance or denial of the requested permit.
Persons not eligible include anyone:
- Found guilty or received a prayer for judgment continued or suspended sentence for any crimes of violence or misdemeanor assaults as defined by General Statutes
- Under indictment or against whom a finding of probable cause exists for a felony
- Found guilty in any court for a felony
- Receiving a prayer for judgment continued for any criminal offense which disqualifies a person from receiving a Concealed Handgun Permit
- Who is a fugitive from justice;
- Who is an unlawful user of or addicted to illegal drugs;
- Discharged from the armed forces for other than honorable reasons
- Who has been ruled mentally ill or lacking mental capacity
- Ineligible to own, possess or receive a firearm under the provisions of state or federal law
- Free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal or sentencing for a crime which disqualifies a person from receiving a Concealed Handgun Permit
- Convicted of an impaired driving offense within three years prior to application date
Lt. Roney A. Hilliard III
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. (closed holidays)
Applications must be submitted to:
City-County Bureau of Identification
(located in the Buncombe County Detention Facility)
20 Davidson Drive
Asheville, NC 28801