Buncombe County Department of Social Services oversees the
distribution of Emergency Assistance funds as they become
available to our community. These funds are for families in
short-term financial crisis due to unusual circumstances.
Guidelines for Emergency Assistance
- Can pay deposits
- must be currently homeless to qualify for rental deposit
- must be currently living in the home without power
in order to qualify for electric deposit
- Can pay occupancy costs
- Can pay past due bills for:
- electricity (must have final notice)
- gas for cooking or heating water
- water-past due balances
- Income eligibility is based on net income.
- Maximum payment is $300 once a year, within a 30-day time
- Example: Applicant applies and receives assistance
of $180.00 on Jan. 2nd, client has until Feb. 2nd to
use the remaining $120.00.
- Must have a related child in household under age 18
- Must be a Buncombe County resident with income at or below
110% Federal poverty level.
- If two able-bodied adults live in the home one must be
Program Pays For:
- Electric Bills
- Fuel Oil
- Natural Gas
- Moving in costs
Program Does Not Pay For:
Emergency Assistance Services include:
- Low Income Energy Assistance Program
A one-time cash payment to help eligible families pay their
heating bills. Applications for this program are normally
taken in October and November and the one-time cash payment
is received in February.
- Emergency Assistance for Families with
Temporary financial assistance for families in financial
crisis due to unusual circumstances.
- The Crisis Intervention Program
Assists low-income persons with fuel purchases when
a heating-related crisis situation occurs.
- CP&L Project Share
Assists low-income CP&L customers in heating related
- General Assistance
- Phone call
- Apply in person
- If deposit, must have statement regarding amount
What to bring with you
- Income Verification
- Shut -off/ Eviction Notice
How are services paid for?
Services are paid by Federal, State and County funds.
For a listing of county-wide programs & services offered by Buncombe County Government, please visit our Services section.